Sunday, September 20, 2009

September 20, 2009

The countdown timer says 40 days. That's just over 6 weeks and I'm getting excited with a little bit of nervous mixed in.

Yesterday's run was insane. Starting at Kolb and Sunrise and going to Craycroft and Territory which then turned into a nightmare. There was this hill... I wish I would have gotten a picture. It was insane. Some might say deadly. I certainly would NOT have wanted to walk up it, let alone run. I ran up as much of the hill that I could. I did the first hill okay, then I got to the second hill and I ran up about 3/4 of it and then had to start walking. If there would not have been someone behind me, I would have sat down and cried. It was a great challenge, but wow. Territory went all the way until it hit Kolb again which wrapped around back to the Bashas' parking lot.

Mile 6-10 I had to repeat so many thoughts, mantras, positive sayings to myself outloud just to get going. At this point my knee was KILLING me. Through this whole journey, I have not felt pain while running. Never. I felt tired at one point, cement blocks another, vomited, but never pain. This week I had pain. I felt it. I grunted it. I mumbled it and almost screamed it. I never wanted to be the person that when cars or bikes went by, I had a grumpy face. I wanted to look happy because I chose to do this. For the last four miles, I think I probably had horns out of my head, a tail coming out my backside and smoke from my ears. I'm sure I was red, head to toe because I gave those drivers in their air conditioned vehicles the meanest/ saddest face I had. Not because I had a choice, but it's what was coming out so I would not scream. I had to finish. Exactly 2 hours after I started, I did finish.

Last night I iced and it felt good. I slept with my knee elevated. I stretched. Today occasionally there is some tightness, but overall, I am okay.

Usually I feel some soreness in my calves, but not this time. I feel like maybe I dreamed the whole thing. There's not actually any evidence that I ran 10 miles. Nothing on my ipod to show. I'm not starving like I usually am (except I had a HUGE breakfast). I'm not sore like normal and I don't even remember that much of the run. I am not proud like normal. For the first time, I only feel neutral. Maybe I could have done better, maybe not. I tried my hardest. For now, I will rest. Because that's what I'm supposed to do after a tough run.


No comments:

Post a Comment